Wednesday, July 25, 2007

America's Got Talent




My family has become hooked on NBC's America's Got Talent this summer. There's not much else new to watch, and we've watched this season from the beginning. One night, all four of us watched it, on four different TV's, in four different rooms - yelling back and forth to each other about who we liked and who we didn't. Everyone has their own favorite pick to win. Some of the contestants are quite talented, while others need a swift dose of reality. I mostly watch to see Riley's reactions. She has very strong opinions where the show is concerned. I find her to be more entertaining than the actual show itself.

I've never actually considered myself to be a "talented" person. I've tried many things, and been moderately successful at a few. I tried to play softball as a teenager. For some reason, though, the coach would never tell me when or where practices would be. I gave up on that. I was a competitive gymnast for several years as well. One year, I won state for my level. The other girl in my age division got second place. Bless her heart! Artistic ability runs in my family. I could never draw very well, but thought that I was pretty good at "lettering." Until I came home one day to see the "lettering" masterpieces my fifteen year old daughter had created with sidewalk chalk. I've tried running, but won't EVEN tell you why that didn't work. Several years ago, I played on a faculty volleyball team at a school where I used to teach. They gave me the award for "Most Improved" player. Is that really a compliment?!?

If I could choose a talent to possess, it would be singing first, and dancing second. I'm envious of anyone who can belt out a tune. I don't even pretend to be able to do that in the shower or the car. Don't get me wrong. I don't sit around and feel sorry for myself for being so utterly untalented. I'm actually pretty happy with who I am. And I am extremely thankful for all of those along the way who didn't tell me I was good at something that I obviously stunk at. Too bad Mr. Baliwood and Boy Shakira didn't have such good friends and family.

P.S. Cas Haley gets my vote!

No comments: