Saturday, July 21, 2007

Its a Girl's Night In



Make no mistake, I love my husband with all of my heart. I cherish the time we spend together. He knows this. But over the years, I have also come to love the nights when he is at the fire station. On these nights, it's just me and one or more of the girls. On these nights, I get to do what I want to. On these nights, I might...

  • Eat cereal for supper. Apple Jacks are my favorite.

  • Work on a scrapbook. I'm just pages away from finishing the Disney book, then I'm going to help Cass on her Peru book.

  • Exercise. (Well, not lately...) I've got one tried and true favorite exercise video that I like. Yes, I said video - it's Cindy Crawford if that gives you any idea how long it's been around. There are a couple of new ones laying around the house that haven't been tried out. I'm actually thinking about that for tonight.

  • Watch a chick-flick that I know the hubby wouldn't be interested in. Or better yet, re-watch one. 50 First Dates and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days are favorites.

  • "Piddle" on the computer. (See previous post...)

  • Get an early bath and be in bed by 9:00. Then watch mindless TV until I finally drift off to sleep. I don't get to do this very often. It's hard to if I also have to get Riley to bed on a school night, but it certainly feels indulgent when I can.

  • Read a good book. If I ever get started on one, I have a hard time putting it down, so these are great for fire station nights!
  • Go to a ball game. Even if neither of our kids is playing in it. I enjoy a ball game, but it's normally not his cup of tea.

  • Clean. Yep, I tend to get more of this done when he's away than when he's here. I think that I like the idea of him being able to come home to a clean house in the morning. Or, a clean room, at least.

  • Stay up late. Almost always, especially during the summer. Sometimes until midnight, sometimes until much later. I'm surrounded by people all day long, so those late night hours when the girls are asleep are like heaven on earth.

I guess most of those are things that are done in "isolation," if you want to call it that. Maybe somewhere in my subconscious I have started doing those things so that when he is here, I can spend time with him. At least be in the same room with him. Because as much as I look forward to my nights alone, I can't wait to see him the next day!! I love you, babe!! See you tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

Clint said...

Do we even have a VCR to play the video?

You didn't have to tell the whole world that I don't do ball games! I usually let people see that I am a real "man" before I let that little secret out.

I'll just make extra bodily noises and scratch and spit a little extra to off set the damage.

Mrs. N. said...

Oh wow - now I don't look so forward to you coming home!!