Sunday, September 9, 2007

WHY???



Yesterday, I went to a wedding for a co-worker. It took place on a golf course, and was nice for an outdoor wedding in early September in south Georgia (in other words...it was HOT!) During the reception, I was looking around watching all the guests eat cake, and began to wonder...why do you have two cakes at a wedding? You spend all this money on THE cake, and then have to have a groom's cake, too. Why? Does the groom really care so much that he has to have his own cake? I would think not. How did this tradition get started? What is the significance?

And yes, we did have two cakes at our wedding. Clint had a chocolate armadillo cake...anyone watch Steel Magnolias???

Drum: Ouiser, can we call a truce long enough for me to get a piece of cake?
[Ouiser slices him the tail piece of an armadillo cake.]
Drum: Thanks Ouiser, nothing like a good piece of ***!

8 comments:

Clint said...

It was a red velvet cake. That way, when the cake was cut it was blood red on the inside. It was such a hit that I never saw it. We don't even have a picture of it!! It was probably the "Alabama" side of my family that devoured it. I think I overheard a distant uncle say to his son, "Yo mamma's armadillo ain't got nutin' on that right there boy!".

jamie b said...

I have no idea why there are 2 cakes either! I do know that I like to sample them both and can't leave a wedding without having a little cake! :)

Mrs. N. said...

clint - LOL!!! And you're absolutely right, we have no picture of it!?!

jamie - that's funny, because I ALWAYS eat a piece of wedding cake, but NEVER try the groom's cake!! :-)

Anonymous said...

1. that's a very cool cake in the pic.
2. Steel Magnolias is my Mom's & by my Mom's I mean my favorite movie...
and
3. who's wedding?

I hate that as the resident fountain of useless knowledge I don't know the historical background of the Groom's Cake...
but I did find this interesting article on Wikipedia... I LOVE Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom%27s_cake
(go check it out!)

jamie b said...

Wow! A little unknown fact about the Nobles'...armadillo cake! LOL I wish you had a picture! :)

Mrs. N. said...

CASEY!!!
1. I thought so too. I may file that away somewhere for future reference!
2. Cassie said, "Steel what?"
3. Kim Henderson
4. The Wikipedia article was interesting. I like the cheesecake idea! I love some cheesecake!!!

Amy Lynn said...

I personally loved the grooms cake better than mine. Daniel had a strawberry cheesecake. yum.

and oops. I was going to go to that wedding. ha. guess its too late now.

Mrs. N. said...

AL - It was a sweet ceremony, but you would have been miserable. It was so hot! One of her bridesmaids actually passed out, presumably from the heat. Poor thing!